Searching for the dude’s guide to bullet journaling? Find inspiration, crash course tips, and benefits of the bullet journal for men regarding productivity and organization.
If you look around Pinterest you may think that bullet journaling is only for women.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
Sure there are loads of amazing ladies out there doing it – and a lot of artists make it look like a creative pursuit – but many men enjoy the bullet journal method too (even the creative side of it – more on this below).
If you feel that you are the only man doing it or you know someone that could benefit from the system but don’t know where to send them for further learning, read this guide below with a few tips I have about bullet journaling for men.
This post is not meant to be a step-by-step tutorial for beginners. Instead, you can learn how to start a bullet journal here. This post is more of a guide to provide you with mens bullet journal inspiration and ideas.
Youtube tutorials from men who bullet journal
Most of the men that I know who use a bullet journal do so with more of a business planner set up in mind than the personal development spreads that you see some women using.
There is nothing wrong with using any kind of spread or format. In fact, you should bullet journal the way you like! A Bullet Journal really works best when you give your spin to it and make it your own.
So if you would like to add colorful spreads, artwork, or other creative flairs, then go for it!
Otherwise, just stick with minimalist black and white design and clean lines that seem to be the go-to bullet journal for guy’s style.
Start by checking Ryder Carroll YouTube videos where he explains the system as a whole and follow him as he set a very basic spread.
If you want to have a clean look but add creativity to your spreads too, then this tutorial below is a good place to start for inspiration.
Minimalist vs. creative bullet journal spreads
There are some minimalist styles that may be more suitable as men’s journals but of course, it all depends on personal preference.
Some guys will be very creative and use washi tapes, Tombow pens, highlighters, stickers and make all the cool spreads and collections that you can in a bullet journal.
Others will be super minimalist and only use a black pen.
The number one complaint from those who feel overwhelmed about the Bullet Journal method is regarding the fancy spreads, but as you see the original method has none of it!
Don’t feel pressured to do anything creative at the start. Bullet journals are about a system that works best for you.
Know your style and follow some of these creative men bullet journal addicts that I am going to show you below for inspiration and tips.
Find one style to start with as inspiration and adapt it to suit your own life and needs.
Bullet journal guys on Instagram to follow
Minimalist bujo style Instagram accounts
The Bullet Journal creator, Ryder Carroll @rydercarroll
Creative men instagram accounts
Doodle journal instagram accounts
Bullet Journal Supplies for Men
Here are some bullet journal ideas for guys.
Best journals for men
When it comes to the best journals for men the qualities we must consider are similar to the ones women look for in a product.
No surprise here, we all want a quality notebook with pen-friendly paper (i.e. doesn’t ghost or bleed the ink to the other side of the page).
But I will go further in the features that I believe men appreciate very much in a bullet journal or even as general men’s writing journals.
Here are the features:
1. Premade index: It is one of the first things you set up (I talk about the necessity of an index for bullet journal in this post here). But considering that most male bullet journalers I know like to keep their spreads simple then an index is a welcomed feature to have.
2. Number pages: Just basically for convenience and easy indexing.
3. Durability: Obviously must stand the test of time.
The most popular journals are:
- The A5 MEDIUM notebooks are the perfect size with a wide...
- Thread-bound to open flat which helps make reading the...
- Features 80g/m² acid-free paper with high ink compatibility...
- Includes 251 numbered pages or our signature 80gsm with 8...
This might be the most popular journal around.
Great quality and variety of products. The only downside of this journal is the paper ghosting but if you like to keep it simple and don’t use a variety of pens you won’t notice it.
- Size of web notebook - A5/140 x 210 mm
- The paper within the web notebook is 90 g Ivory Brushed...
- The web notebook has a leatherette cover with an elasticated...
- The web notebook has 96 sheets
Rhodia is also a good long-lasting journal with superior paper quality.
- Limited Edition - Expedition
- Synthetic water- and tear-proof paper
- NOTE: Ballpoint pens and soft pencils work best with the...
Smaller and lightweight these notebooks are easy to carry to work as they don’t take up a lot of space.
Best Pens for men who bullet journal
As I mentioned before there are some guys that are just as creative with their spread making as the ladies, and they use all sorts of colored pens.
But many others like to keep it simple. So here I am just listing writing pens, not decorative ones. You can get more ideas for Bujo pens here.
It is true that any pen, and any notebook for that matter, would be enough to follow the bullet journal principles of being more organized and productive.
However, some tools just make this journey a lot more fun.
When you keep it minimal and only use one pen and one notebook for your bullet journaling it does make sense to treat yourself to a good pen.
A fountain pen can bring your writing experience to a whole new level!
The subtle sophistication of these pens is something that neither men nor women can resist and some of them are very affordable.
A good ballpoint pen can make such a difference too.
- Pilot's sleek Metropolitan Collection signature pens
- Finest quality at a mid-range price
- Fine nib
- Brass barrel with stainless accents
With a great price and providing an amazing writing experience, the pilot metropolitan is perhaps your first step to a fountain pen addiction!!
It makes a great gift to a loved one.
- Combines the design and grace of the Classic Century pen...
- Elegant black lacquer finish with 23k gold-plated...
- Includes one black gel ink rollerball tip (refill 8523;...
- Quickly converts to ballpoint or felt-tip by changing...
With smooth writing and quality materials, you cannot go wrong with them.
Not your average pen. They look good, write well and command attention.
Bullet journal accessories for men
No products found.
A little more stylish than the usual paper clip.
- UNIQUE! Unlike most book marks that only tab the overall...
- NO MORE DAMAGED BOOKS! With these darts, your books will...
- TRUSTED! Other book marks fall out, get caught in other...
- EFFECTIVE! Our line darts are visible from the sides of the...
Similar to paper clips, book darts mark your page but are flat on the edge.
The magnetic bookmarks don’t crinkle the paper and make it easier to find any page when opening the journal.
I hope you have enjoyed these masculine bullet journal ideas. Do you have any other ideas to share? Let me know in the comments below.
More Journal Spreads Ideas You Will Enjoy:
PIN FOR LATER!